Twenty years he gave the NBA, and all in one team, the Los Angeles Lakers. As commendable as that is, it makes us all the more curious about the man behind the name. Before we look at the height, weight, and body measurements of Kobe Bryant, we want to know a few facts about the athlete himself.
1. He was born Kobe Bean Bryant on 23 August 1978 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Here is interesting information, he is named after a Japanese steakhouse in Philadelphia. His parents had dinner there sometime before he was born, and the service must have been really amazing for them to name their child after him.
2. His parents must be very liberal when it comes to naming their children, his middle name is different from what is written on his birth certificate. He was called “Bean” after his father’s nickname Jelly Bean, but it was not officially recorded on the documents. But “Bean”?
3. Bryant is bilingual; yes, the retired sportsman grew up in Italy and learned the language quickly and mainly because he wanted to fit in with the other children at his school in Italy. However, this was to his advantage, as he used the language frequently to interact with his teammates during the games.
4. Make no mistake, he didn’t rely on basketball because he couldn’t cope with his schoolwork, he was a brilliant student; he got good grades in class and a high score on his SAT’s.
5. Guess who Bryant went to his high school prom with? His date was none other than Brandy, she wasn’t in school and as such never went to the prom, so he helped a sister out and landed a famous date.
6. He got into the NBA right after high school.
7. Throughout his entire career, the athlete had only one scandal, he was and still is known for keeping his private life to himself.
8. Kobe Bryant ended his 20-year career in the NBA on April 13, 2016.
Kobe Bryant’s height
He is a retired basketball player, so you best believe that he is not lacking in the height department, as this is one of the main requirements for the job. The athlete is 6’1″, but at some point (when he first entered the NBA) his stated height was actually 6’1″.
Wow! That’s many centimeters shaved off. So how did we get this little information about Kobe Bryant’s height? It was provided by the athlete himself, we believe his exact words were: “Everyone thinks I’m 1.70 m tall. But just between you and me, I’m actually 6-4, I’m probably 6-5 sneaking around”.
There you have it, it’s not every day that a celebrity admits that their stated height is wrong, so that’s pretty commendable. With this kind of news you have to wonder what other kinds of exaggerations they tell us about professional athletes.
Anyway, it’s time for a comparison; here is a list of other celebrities who share Kobe Bryant’s height: Drake, Stephen King, Liam Neeson, and Michael Phelps all stand as tall as the athlete himself.
Kobe Bryant’s weight
Bryant has a healthy weight of 96 kg, as you can best believe. He has also started a trend in the basketball world, and we are sure he had no idea that many other players would follow him. In the summer of 2007, when he was 29 years old and entering his 12th NBA season, Kobe also had the two best statistical seasons of his life behind him.
Instead of letting time pass, he lost 9 kg, and boy, did he get results. In the following three years, he won two titles, reached the NBA finals every year, averaged 27 points per game, and missed only nine of 246 regular-season games. That was reason enough for other players like LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwayne Wade to lose a few pounds.
Kobe Bryant’s Body Measurements
In addition to Kobe Bryant’s height and weight, here is a summary of all his body measurements.
Height: 6 feet 4 inches
Weight: 96 kg or 212 lbs
Chest size: 43 in or 109 cm
Arms/biceps size: 16.5 in or 42 cm
Waist size: 35 in or 89 cm
Feet/ Shoe Size: 14 US,47 EU, 13.5 UK.